Saturday, May 23, 2009

Back in the saddle

I got back to the sewing machine! It's back from the shop, so far playing nicely, and so I whipped up the rest of the blocks for this quilt. It's just two fabrics, but they go so well together. All credit to my sister, who picked the combo.

I also got the most adorable pin cushion in the mail today! It's by ccampbell0509 at etsy. Not only is it cute, but it's really one of the better ones I've had. The pins slide in and out with little resistance, which is perfect for using when I'm reaching behind me for a pin.

Finally, I thought I'd introduce you to the troublemaker who had me so exhausted and fuzzy these past few days. And yes, it's green!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Where I am

Sorry for the lack of posts these last few days. My foot flared up in a big way and the meds to manage the pain knock me out. Also, I'm pretty sure a sewing machine counts as heavy machinery. I'm hoping that I can get back into the swing of things soon. I've got an idea for some paper piecing, and I've never done it before, so that should be fun!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Ever have one of those days...

Where you just want to bang your head against the wall?

I have all this pretty new stash, and yet no inspiration is striking. I know there are quilts lurking in those fabrics, I just have to convince them to come out and play. That or buy more fabric while I'm at my quilting studio class tomorrow. Clearly that will solve all my problems, ha!

There was going to be a picture of tomorrow's project for class, but firefox hates me so a link it will be.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Another day, another wip

This is a quick top I whipped up after finishing up a massive quilt top for my bed. I needed something to bring to the quilt studio that wouldn't take up a bit of space.

You can see the fabrics for the back, binding and border. I stole the red fabric for the back from my mother's stash!

The blocks were supposed to be six inches finished. Sadly, I broke my no cutting late at night rule and cut them at 6 inches, leaving me 5 1/2 inches finished. I reworked the rest so they fit, and I'm pleased with how it came out. The varying width of the strip blocks was a happy mistake.

It's all pinned for quilting, but I need to pick up the right color thread. How is it I have dozens and yet not the right one? I think it must be a law.

Two more finishes

I remember unpacking these fabrics when I was still working at my local fabric store. I fell in love and knew I had to make a quilt. A few weeks back I found the strips I'd cut them into and threw together two quick quilts. The first is a windmill variation on a rail quilt.

Next is a more traditional rail fence layout. The borders, backing, and binding are different on each, though all are batiks.

And finally, a teaser on some pot holders I'm making. I have a no quilting after midnight rule, so these will be quilted tomorrow.

Monday, May 11, 2009


The quilt is done!

Despite a small argument with my machine, the binding is on.

I stitched in the ditched on the black blocks, but did a zig zag around the squares in the light blocks.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get the rest of the photos - always a challenge balancing on one leg - and get a few quilts listed on etsy.

Sunday, May 10, 2009


I was in California last week, for a family affair, but while there I got to indulge in one of my favorite trip activities: checking out local fabric shops. I came away with quite the haul.

I spend the afternoon washing, drying and ironing all of them, which amounts to 29 fabrics, most one yard, occasionally two.

Two of them are already being put to use as backing and binding for the quilt I've been posting about. The rest are going to be such fun to play with.

Pin twice...

The top came together quite nicely! I have to remember to pull back and look at the entire effect, because spending too much time with my nose to the blocks tends to skew my perspective.

I pinned the three layers together, then picked it up and realized I had too many wrinkles on the back. This stage always drives me nuts.

So I pinned the back to the carpet, then the batting, and finally the top before pinning the entire thing together. This time, fewer wrinkles. One day I will learn how not to have wrinkles at all. It was not tonight.

I do have a quilting plan, which is to experiment with zigzags. I'm thinking of using cream to match the cream sashing in the black sashed blocks, and black in the cream sashed blocks. That will be tomorrow's project.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

From lemons to lemonade

Today was an unexpected success. I had made some blocks to experiment with the technique of sewing a bunch of strips together and then cutting the whole unit into half square triangles, but I hated how it came out. So I experimented with sashing and came up with this.

Once I put all the pieces together, I had two blocks that looked like this. Suddenly I liked it! When in doubt, add black.

I needed two more blocks than I had to make a lap quilt, and I didn't feel like making two more of the same type. So I pulled out some of my favorite fabrics from the first blocks and ended up with a simple block.

Tomorrow I plan to put the four blocks together and possibly quilt the thing. If, that is, I can decide whether or not it needs a border. I'm leaning toward no, because the sashing does sort of serve that purpose.